All the PCB applications have now become popular and diverse. Nowadays PCB Testing in any branch of electronic engineering has became extremely important to check the reliability, testing of components and rectifies the errors if any. This article will discuss in brief some of the most important PCB testing techniques during Assembly. Keep reading to know more about testing methods. Happy reading!
There are four key testing techniques you should keep in mind while testing components and each of them has its strengths and weakness that should be taken care of.
In-Circuit Test (ICT)
In-Circuit testing being one of the most preferred and powerful testing methods helps to detect all the defective components by checking them individually. This test is highly unique and also quite different from other testing techniques because of its “schematic variation” In-Circuit Test (ICT) is usually conducted in two parts i.e. power-on tests and power of tests and as the name suggests in power off tests are conducted before power is applied and power-on tests are conducted after the power is applied.
Some elements of the In-Circuit Test (ICT)
– Analog scanner and many more
Advantages of In-Circuit Tests
– In-Circuit Tests are extremely easy to perform
– There is a very tiny little room for operator error
– Tests results are usually easier to interpret
– Ensures high fault coverage and manufacturing defects
Disadvantages of In-Circuit tests
– It is quite expensive in comparison to other testing techniques
– Its test pins need to be cleaned every day to avoid test failures
– Sometimes fails to identify the connector faults in high density
Flying Probe Testing
The flying probe Testing technique is the second most preferred technique among electrical engineers but less expensive in comparison to In-Circuit testing. This method is equipped for testing shorts, opens, and component values. Moreover, a camera is prepared on the flying test tester to assist find with the trip the missing part extremity. Let’s discuss a few Advantages and Disadvantages of Flying probe testing:
Advantages of Flying probe testing
– Short Test development cycle
– Relatively low test cost
– High conversion flexibility
– Rapid feedback provides to PCB design engineers
Disadvantages of Flying probe testing
– Speed of operation is slow
– It is not possible to make complicated tests
– Not suitable for larger orders
– This technique doesn’t power up the circuit so doesn’t give you a real-world look
Functional testing being the most comprehensive one determines its final pass/fail status. The test is a good combination of connected cables, test probes, and test software. Some customers still prefer old-fashioned functional tests. Few things required by functional tests are; external pieces of equipment, fixtures, and requirements of UL, MSHA, and some other standards as well.
Some Advantages of Functional PCB Testing
– Functional testing eliminates the need for expensive system tests
– It pairs well with other testing techniques like ICT and flying probe
– Functional testing minimizes customer costs
Other PCB testing types include:
– Solderability test
– PCB Contamination testing
– Micro sectioning analysis
– Peel Test
– Solder Float test etc
Cable Harness Test
Cable Harness testing is one most essential types of testing techniques. Copper wires can carry electrical powers or data signals and wire harnesses may comprise both wire types. And one of the main methods of Harness testing is Automatic Test Equipment (ATE) it is a simple digital multimeter controlled by a computer containing dozens of complicated test instruments which are capable of automatically testing and finding faults in sophisticated electronic packaged parts or on-wafer testing which includes a system on chips and integrated circuits.
So if you are looking for Cable harness testing equipment Jayshree Instruments is a one-stop solution for all your electronic manufacturing service queries. They have been manufacturing types of Wire Harness Testing Equipment from the latest technology as they believe in delivering quality types of equipment to all their clients.
Advantages of Cable Harness Test
– Security and safety
– Decrease installation time
– Simplifies the usage
– Reduces Clutter
Hence, above all are different types of PCB testing Techniques that help in checking the reliability, testing of components and identifies the defects if any. Feel free to consult Jayshree Instruments for detailed information.