Changing cell phones has its advantages and disadvantages. It’s great to be using a new device, generally faster, with better settings. However, one of the inconveniences is having to transfer all your information stored on your old smartphones, such as photos, contacts, documents, or music. With that in mind, some manufacturers create applications focused on this data migration. This is the case of Samsung which uses the Smart Switch app (Android | iOS). But how does it work? We explain to you below.
What is SmartSwitch
As we said, this is an exclusive application by Samsung focused on transferring data between cell phones, regardless of the operating system being Android or iOS, for devices from the Galaxy line of the Korean manufacturer. Samsung Smart Switch is an application from the South Korean manufacturer that makes it easy to migrate from other phones (Androids or iPhones) to a Galaxy.
Just install the app on both phones and start the data transfer process, via cable or Wi-Fi. The tool makes everything easy, especially if you’re going to transfer files from one Samsung phone to another from the same manufacturer. For Android users, just download the app from the Play Store on both devices and proceed with the setup.
How SmartSwitch works
To use it, just install Smart Switch on both cell phones to migrate data, whether to send or receive, through cables or Wi-Fi, making it easier to send information. And this data can be the most diverse: calls, messages, apps, photos, music, documents, contacts, notes, alarms, favorite pages in your browser, emails, and data from Wi-Fi network connections by Internet providers. Only files with DRM (Digital Rights Management) protection are not transferred.
When installing the app, you will be asked for permission to read your cell phone data and, after authorization, select whether your device will send or receive files during the transfer. Then, just select the connection mode to perform the data migration.
What I can transfer to the other cell phone
If the user comes from an Android phone: calls, contacts, messages, web bookmarks, apps, images, videos, documents, music, notes, voice recordings, alarms, settings, Wi-Fi network data, provider by Centurylink internet, for example, and e-mail settings mail. The transfer is more complete, including other user settings and customizations, if the user is going to transfer files from one Samsung phone to another. Smart Switch will not transfer files with DRM (Digital Rights Management) protection, such as non-free music for example.
Before starting the transfer through this application, you need to pay attention to some important points. The first concerns the fact that the Samsung Smart Switch is only for moving data to Samsung-branded devices. The app does not, for example, allow you to transfer data between a Samsung Galaxy device and a OnePlus.
Passing data via wireless is no longer a surprise to anyone and is as effective as transferring via cable, in terms of speed and practicality. The difference is that you no longer need a cable and that makes everything easier, as well as being the most desired method. Usage of the app and the process of transferring files may vary by device. Therefore, you will learn how to backup and restore, as well as transfer from older devices and iPhones.
How to backup with Smart Switch
First of all, it is essential to have the application installed on the device. Most of the time, the Smart Switch Mobile app is already installed on Samsung Galaxy devices, except the Galaxy Tab tablet, which you will have to install from the Galaxy app store. Also, if you are going to transfer from Windows system on computer or Macbook, you need to install Smart Switch from Samsung website.
After installing Smart Switch on your computer, you can think of Smart Switch to realize Samsung device data storage:
- Open the installed Samsung Smart Switch app on the PC and use the USB cable to connect the mobile device (tablet or smartphone). In case of failure during device recognition, try disconnecting and reconnecting the cable, as this defect sometimes happens.
- Select the Backup type. During the process, a type of message related to file transfer via USB cable may appear. Permit if asked or go into settings if you notice that the warning has not appeared and file transfer is blocked.
- After allowing the transfer, you will have access to a panel that points out which data has been transferred, ie which has been allocated in the backup. Then press OK, so that the mobile device automatically returns to the Smart Switch home screen.
- Pay attention to the need for device updates as this can disrupt the entire process. If updates are available, go to the app’s main screen and select the option to update anytime. Thus, Android keeps up to date for the process.
How to restore your backup data
When the mobile device is connected to the computer, you need to know the procedures. So, check out how to follow:
- Choose the Restore Now or Select your backup data button to define what you want to do. In this sense, the first option restores immediately, while the second can be postponed. In case you choose to select your backup data, you can choose only what you want to restore and not everything you have saved.
- Schedule the exact time of your backup. Then choose a time and date to restore the data if you choose data selection. Click OK and give permission, if any window appears asking for it.
- On your mobile device, you may be prompted to install some features such as the weather widget data on your home screen and you can do so if you wish.
How to transfer content from another android phone using a cable
As we have seen, wireless data transfer is more widely used and practical. However, we can also use a USB cable for this task. This USB cable, if common, may need an OTG adapter, due to the output of the device, which is unnecessary in the case of Thunderbolt cables or a USB-C to USB-C cable. Follow the steps below:
- Download the app from the Play Store App;
- Connect the two devices by cable;
- Launch the old device app;
- Launch the Settings app on the new device (Samsung);
- Select the Accounts and Backup key;
- Click on the Smart Switch option;
- Select the option Send data on the old device;
- Go to the cable option;
- Then choose which data you want to have on the new device;
- Select the Download option and wait until the procedure is completed.
How to transfer iOS content
If your old device is an iPhone and your new one is a Samsung, using a cable is the best option to transfer the data. In this situation, you will be using either a Lightning to USB-C cable or a regular USB cable with an adapter, due to incompatible inputs. Check now which steps are necessary:
- On the new device, launch the Settings app and select the Accounts and backup option;
- Press the Smart Switch option;
- On the new device, launch the app and select Receive data;
- Select the iPhone/iPad option within the Select a source button;
- Connect the two devices via the cable and select the option to Trust the message displayed on iPhone;
- Press the Next option on the Samsung device. The iPhone password may be asked during this sequence, so just fill it in to continue;
- So, Samsung will analyze the iPhone to analyze what data will be transferred;
- Then, on the other screen, you will observe a series of data that will be brought to the device;
- Choose which items you want to transfer and go to the Import/Transfer button;
- Finally, just wait for the process which can take 30 minutes or a few hours.
The cloud storage system (Icloud) has been used a lot for this type of activity, and it can be a second choice for this process. However, the procedure is different from that performed with cable. So, here’s how to do it:
- Launch the Smart Switch app on the new Samsung device (the one that will receive the data);
- Select the Receive data option and click iPhone/iPad;
- Press Get data from iCloud below;
- Enter your iCloud login and password and AppleID and follow the instructions on the screen, keeping an eye out for a possible verification code, if required;
- Press the OK option.
- Finally, choose what you want to transfer and then click OK and wait for the process to complete.
How to Transfer Content from Old Windows Phones/BlackBerry Devices
Have an old device like Blackberry or Windows Phone? Don’t worry, you can also use Smart Switch without any problems. Check the steps below:
- First, launch the app on the new Samsung device;
- Select the option Receive data and choose by Windows Phone/Blackberry;
- Then, a screen will open with instructions to proceed with the transfer, which you must follow;
- Take the old device, with the app already installed, open it, and select the Connect option;
- Then fill in the requested data to make the connection to a network between the devices and just wait while the data is sent.
Smart Switch makes your life easier
Switching from one phone to another has become much easier over the years. In 2022, there are several practical methods, no matter what phone model and operating system you use. However, if you have Samsung devices, know that your life can be made easier by using Smart Switch. With it, the transfer of content from an old device to the new one becomes much more practical and faster. So, enough with the headache. Use Smart Switch if you have a Samsung device and optimize device switching.